Thursday, June 29, 2017

The Fate of Skeptics

Clear Creek. A new boot scraper at the trailhead.


I go to see what's upstream. I make my way to some old bridge abutments.


The current is slow and deep.


I swing a newly-tied fly. A woolly bugger with lots of flash.


A spicebush swallowtail keeps pace with me as I fish.


The bugger gets some rises and follows. A pumpkinseed nabs it.


Then a flash and a grab. A smallmouth. Still a baby but bigger than the last one.


I fish my way downstream. Good-looking water. Should be big smallmouth in there. But there aren't.


Back at the riffle I wade out and around.


I find a rock firmly captured by sycamore roots.


I cross over to the fishermen's trail.


On the gravel bar I see something white and round. At first I think it's a geode.


No, it's what's left of a young raccoon.


I get ready to fish the riffles and runs ahead.


I switch to another new tie. I've seen small sunfish on their nests. They flash orange as they dart through the current.


I'm fishing through the riffles. I'm looking for geodes. I come to this deep slot. The fly swings behind the submerged rocks. I'm reaching down to pick up a rock. All hell breaks loose.

It's a smallmouth. Has to be. It's big and strong and in a hurry to get downstream. It breaks me off and is gone. Just like that.

Earlier I was fishing with a 2X tippet. That would have handled him, I think. Then I switched to 4X. Why?

Because I was catching small fish. And as much as I wanted to believe that there were big smallmouth in this stream, I was still, somewhere deep down, a skeptic. The fate of skeptics is to be unprepared when the impossible happens.

You gotta believe.


I fish on down to the tailout and pool. More sunfish.


A chub.


I turn back upstream and hike out.


I'm a skeptic no more.


1 comment:

  1. Jim, I like to say you can sum up a trip to new fishing water in one word....... "Yanevano".....
    Isn't doing research work the fun of fly fishing and fly tying anyway!

    ReplyDelete