Sunday, May 7, 2017

Advice

The trip begins with a pristine March Brown mayfly and ends with clouds of plump midges descending on me and the tube. I wish there were trout to tempt with a high floating MB imitation. I throw streamers instead and find the usual suspects. Meanwhile, another day unwinds until nightfall, and Spring displays one by one more of its marvels. At dark while I'm loading the pickup, another pickup pulls up. It's a young couple. They want to know how I did. They think the lake is overpopulated, say the bass run small. But they agree there just might be some big'uns in there. And when they say "bass" what they actually say is "largemouths and smallies." Smallies? Really? Where have they been keeping themselves? He looks at me and says, "Early morning. Get out here early morning. That's the best time..." Then nods--did he wink, too?--and drives off.


2 comments:

  1. Not quite Trout Lake, but the Bass, Bluegill, and Crappie are enough to keep one interested.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fishing on the surface from a float tube is like making things equal between the angler and the fish. (I.E., you are on each others level). I agree with Mark. The Bass, Bluegill, and Crappie, gotta' have love, too.

    Please note: I have changed my Blog Name and Blog Site, please take a moment and update my link so we are current. Thanks, Mel.

    ReplyDelete