Sunday, November 25, 2018

The Henry's Fork: Day Eight

The morning of the eighth day is frosty.


The river is a zen koan.


We meditate on the bank for a timeless space.


Fish start to ring. An Osprey pair dance in the sky.


I hike around the island. Some spooky risers are out there in the main channel. They do not want me there.


I follow John out by the first rocky point. There are fish popping up to look at our flies. Eventually a pleep sparkles in my net.


Once again the wind comes early. Feels like the earth's rotation has sped up.


John goes back to the cabin to hang with Jake. I am going to stay the day. First a lovely bankside nap.


I wake up and start upstream past the moose.  


I stop at rocky point number one. I fish it. The wind is still stiff but the lee of the point is fishable. And there are fish rising sporadically. I show them a cinnamon ant and they bump it and roll at it. I spend a long time trying to get them to take it. Later and even now I wonder why I didn't try another fly. When the memory rises into consciousness a long list of flies that I could have used reels through my aching mind. Must go back. 


I hike and wade back downstream.


I take a brief break back at my camp.


I then fish the back channel until dusk. John comes back and we fish until almost dark. Then back to the cabin and meditations on the sins of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment