Monday, November 5, 2018

The Henry's Fork: Day Six

The morning of day six we count our blessings and express our gratitude to be six days on the Fork with more to come. We try not to disturb the swans on the back channel but they soon paddle away upstream.


It's a pristine September morning. We seek out the trout.


The pattern is establishing itself. John catches fish and I fish.

In the afternoon John heads upstream like the swans, like a salmon powerless to resist the biological imperative. I fish the grassy bank a little longer then follow him. The bridle trail is enticing. It reminds me of boyhood trails that were a part of my growing up in this state.


I cut off the trail to pick my way through the rocks to Rocky Point Number One. That's its name on the maps. It's just downstream from Rocky Point Number Two.

I once saw a man hook a massive Rainbow here. We knew it was massive because it came out of the water and fell back in like a quarter round chunk of firewood. The man played it for about ten seconds and then it was off. He dropped his rod, made the "s-word" echo from the mountaintops, and then sat down and just watched the river flow by for a long time.

I also have some memories of fish lost here. I hooked one on a cinnamon ant right up against the rocks, and then lost it when it managed to get downstream in the swift current. When I retrieved my fly it had a piece of Rainbow jaw on the hook point.

This time I just check it out and then resume my search for John.


There he is.


This is new territory for us. We're down along the actual ranch stretch, and Millionaire Pool is somewhere up there. We go down to that point and cast to some rises out in the middle of the current. It's deep and rocky and uncomfortable fishing, so we tell ourselves they're probably just pleeps. Then one rolls with a big splash. That was no pleep. John lets me go for him--the pity phase has set in--and I manage to get a few drifts of my ant right over the spot where he rolled. But the surface is unbroken as it flows by.


We hike back to the back channel. All is quiet. So we head for the car and Pond's Resort for burgers and cold beer. Sometimes you just don't feel like cooking.

Back at the "cabin" we sit around the table for awhile. There's a big TV on one wall but once again it stays black. We talk over plans and process the day and tie a few flies to replenish our boxes for the day ahead.


Another full day of fishing in Teton country.

No comments:

Post a Comment