Thursday, October 19, 2017

Bumps and Grabs

I took the time to head to Deer Mill bridge on Sugar Creek. It's October, so the campground and the canoe livery are deserted. I was the only one on the water.

In the past I've waded under and around the highway bridge to start my pass. This time, though, the way was blocked by a dam that would make any beaver stare in amazement and envy.


I still had plenty of good water to explore. It was fun to have lots of room to stretch out in after being used to the intimate confines of Clear Creek. 


I got a few little bumps but no grabs. I walked on downstream under this astounding limestone edifice.


Not only is the bluff limestone, so is the river bottom at its base. There are a few boulders and stones scattered through it, and I checked out each one.


My goal, however, was the place where the stone riverbed gives way to rocks and rapids.


Here there are striations in the limestone that form lies for the smallmouth. Right here I usually begin to get bumps, and between here and the rocks I have caught some good fish. I worked it this time and got bumps but, again, no grabs.


I fished the rapids down a ways, then came back and took a break to let the good stretch rest. I had a big articulated muddler on. I decided to change to a smaller muddler so some of those bumps I'd had could maybe turn into grabs.


I went back out and quickly hooked up with a spunky little smallie. I caught several more like him in the same spot. Then I moved on down toward the deeper, faster flow at the tailout.


Right in the center of the flow I finally got the grab I was looking for. A fine fish, close to two hand spans long.


I went back in and there were more fish in there. I got some heart stopping swirls in front of the rocks, but the catching was over, and the dark was reclaiming the canyon.

It was a good beginning for my 2017 Sugar Creek campaign.

1 comment:

  1. All that wood under the bridge could be trouble come the heavy rains of Winter. Your Govt. officials should address this sooner rather than later or you might not have the bridge. On the other hand, I bet it made a dandy "beaver" pond.

    ReplyDelete