Saturday, November 19, 2016

Shared Memories

November has been exceptionally mild--until now. This past week was the last chance for summer-like temperatures with the highs on Thursday and Friday pushing 80 degrees.

Now it's Saturday morning, and the bottom has fallen out. It's 37 degrees outside right now, and we may get up to the predicted 48 degrees today, but I doubt it. The long-range forecast confirms the change: highs in the 40's until, well, until they're in the 30's. Then the 20's.

In years past I have been able to get out to fish on at least some of those last warm days of the year. It didn't happen this year. My current role as shuttle driver and primary child care provider means I can only get out on weekends. So I had to sit at home all this past week while the warm weather trickled away like sand in an hour glass.

There is always a period of mourning for the warm days when cold weather sets in. Memories of time well spent enjoying those beautiful days helps ameliorate the pain. And when your own memories aren't as rich and full as you would wish, there are the shared memories of fellow fishermen.

This essay is one of those shared memories. It celebrates the last warm days, and finds a deeper meaning in them. It is written in the present tense, but the glorious time it describes is soon to be--or already is--lost in the shadows of a wintry sky.

May we all find memories to keep us warm in the cold time.

smallmouth bass fly fishing

Read the essay HERE.

2 comments:

  1. Of the many times I was in Indiana (the company I worked for was based in Indianapolis) it was always a summer trip back there. Although I do remember the Wisconsin Winters as a kid and I'm sure they are close to the same. With that said, the key word here is bundle up until next spring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, I can sympathize and agonize with you on this post. It has been a magnificent Fall season and I will miss it for sure. Also, I understand the Retired, Grandfather, shuttle car driver, and, part time child care provider thing that gets in the way of fishing like we used too. Don't get me wrong I enjoy that part of my life immensely too, but, darn it where did my fishing time go..........

    ReplyDelete