Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Rambunctious Youths

Yellowwood. Dog days. The lake is beautiful, the heat is perfectly Augusty. Fishing is slow.


There are the usual suspects. An occasional rock bass who can't believe his eyes when he sees that worm. But that's it for the east side.


On the west side one small bass is looking up and nails a big muddler.


And there are still bluegill ranging out as the sun goes down.


The lack of catching means I have time to make the full loop. Some nights I have to cut things short.


I get to the dam. Something is going on here. Fish are splashing up by the weeds. I throw the muddler in there. A bass whacks it.


There's a hatch going on. As the light wanes big white mays are popping up and skipping across the water. The bass are mad to eat them. It's a lovely summer show.


I get in on the act. The bass like my light muddler. They slash and yank at it. They come straight up and go airborne to get at it. Some come undone but many stick. They're all rambunctious youths. But they'll be bigger next year.


After awhile I quit taking pictures. Then I finally give in to the dark and the lateness of the hour and head in. The bass are still punctuating the night with splashes. I'm making plans to get back here again soon. Someone needs to monitor this hatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment