Monday, February 5, 2018

"Fence Line Tree" by Jim Harrison

Image by George Raab

There's a single tree at the fence line
here in Montana, a little like a tree
in the Sandhills of Nebraska, which may be miles
away. When I cross the unfertile pasture strewn
with rocks and the holes of gophers, badgers, coyotes,
and the rattlesnake den (a thousand killed
in a decade because they don't mix well with dogs
and children) in an hour's walking and reach
the tree, I find it oppressive. Likely it's
as old as I am, withstanding its isolation,
all gnarled and twisted from its battle
with weather. I sit against it until we merge,
and when I return home in the cold, windy
twilight I feel I've been gone for years.


"Fence Line Tree" by Jim Harrison, from Saving Daylight. © Copper Canyon Press, 2006.

No comments:

Post a Comment