Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Swing Time

We pick up one more carton of night crawlers, and Sebastian and I head for Yellowwood for a change. We're going back to the Picnic Table, but we park near the campground playground. Sebastian is delighted. He needs to try it out before any fishing happens.


Then it's down the hill to the Picnic Table. Before the many trips to the dam this is where he and I fished. His mom and cousin Iris have been here, too.


It's a fine afternoon, with just a touch of fall in the air. An elegant little sailboat pirouettes around the lake like a ballerina to add to the charm.


We fish a little, but nothing is eating the night crawlers. We decide it's time for us to be eating the lunch we packed. There's just one problem. Yellowjackets. 'Tis the season. There are only a couple buzzing around Sebastian's PB&J but that's two too many for him.


We pinch off a bit of sandwich to decoy them away from us. I think it's working very well, and clearly the yellowjackets are enjoying their treat.


But Sebastian almost scoots me off the bench trying to get farther away from them. He does not believe my cockeyed notion that they won't harm him if he doesn't harm them.


He finally decides to avoid unnecessary conflict by ceding territory. Everybody is happy.


We fish some more. I mean I fish some more. Truth is he wants to go back to the playground. I make him stay until we catch at least one fish. He passes the time by throwing rocks. I explain to him once again how fishing and throwing rocks are incompatible lakeside activities.... Oh, never mind.


I finally hook one and Sebastian agrees to hold it for the photo. He flashes his fake smile to show that he's not that impressed and now can we go back to the playground?


We hike back up the hill. He needs to take a rest when we get to the top. Fortunately, there's a stump handy.


I load up the truck and he runs over to the playground. When I head over he is perhaps using mental imagery and visualization to prepare himself for some serious swing time.


And that's what we do. We swing like crazy. Seems like a good way to finish up a fishing trip. Try it next time.


1 comment: