Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Tempted by the Dark Side

Early in June, on a hot day, I explored a new location. This is one of the many access points on Lake Monroe, the giant reservoir in this part of the state. Yellowwood Lake is 133 acres. Monroe is 10,750 acres. From this boat ramp you're still a long way from the main lake, but there is a lot of water to fish right close.

I caught a small bass pretty quick which gave me hope. But I covered a lot of water using a whole variety of flies--and plastic worms trolled slowly through weed beds, something I thought was a sure bet--but caught nothing until a little crappie grabbed my woolly bugger just before I got back to the ramp.

There were fish around, though: carp. They were rolling and breaching everywhere I went. The sound of large scaly bodies crashing into the water punctuated the afternoon.

Now, I was raised to disdain these fish, to consider them "trash fish," to spell their name as "crap." But on this day I began to think it wouldn't be such a bad thing to hook into one of these pigs. 

I'm giving it some thought.


1 comment:

  1. Jim, thanks for sharing another adventure out your way. Your pictures are wonderful for presenting a setting in which you fish! Carp - Never caught one either. Those that have on a fly rod seem to come back for more!

    ReplyDelete