Wednesday, June 14, 2017

A Worm Problem

Back to Yellowwood with Sebastian. Even though I consistently catch fish from the float tube, our luck fishing from the bank has been poor. Maybe this is the day.



Sebastian likes to get to his snack pretty much immediately so as to get it out of the way. He's been on a melon kick lately. Bare handed is his preferred technique.


We don't raise anything fishing from the dam so we retreat to high ground by the spillway.


Sebastian wanders and comes back with some rocks and throws them in the lake. I go into my speech about "don't throw rocks because it scares the fish" when a bluegill rises right out in front of us. Sebastian gets all excited: "Grandpa, I woke up the fish!" He runs for more rocks. I can't convince him that he isn't waking up every fish in the lake, all of which will swarm to our night crawlers.


We get one long pull that takes the bobber down, but we miss the hookup. Sebastian wanders again and helps a goose family into the water.


He comes back and tries to fish some more. After awhile he shares his thoughts with me: "Grandpa, fish hate worms."  Then, after a pause, the eureka moment: "Grandpa, we have a worm problem!"

I tell him we'll bring crickets and beemoths next time. He gives me a thumbs up.


We finally give up. The mosquitoes are bad enough in the woods now that we decide to forego the hike and head for home. There's an ice cream stand on the way that we've been wanting to stop at, and this is the perfect moment, so we pull in. Sebastian gets a strawberry ice cream sandwich. His favorite, now that he's had one. That seems to make up a little for the lack of fish.


That's my orange freeze next to Sebastian. It was so good I gave myself a brain freeze. Twice.

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps Sebastian is catching on early, "we don't need worms, we need fish that likes flies". Maybe..............

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sebastian sounds like a bright young fellow. With any luck, he'll remember this day as well as the day he catches a mess of bluegills. With or without worms!

    ReplyDelete