Wednesday, May 3, 2017

April Showers

Back in April I take a couple of hours to drive around Monroe Reservoir looking for float tube compatible access. I drive through rain, some heavy. Most of what I find are busy access points for the big boats that fit this big water. It's not what I'm looking for.


I do find an access point deep in the woods by a backwater. It's a channel out to the main lake. It could be fishable, but I can't really tell how wide it might get and how far it is to the main lake. It's raining again, so I save it for another day's exploration and head over to Yellowwood.

It has been wet everywhere else, but Yellowwood is bone dry when I get there--right up until I kick off the boat ramp. It turns out to be just a sprinkle.


I do the drill, combing the shorelines. I start on the eastern shoreline. There are fish to be found.


There are storms to the north and storms to the south, and thunder rumbles and rolls in the distance. I keep a weather eye out. After awhile I decide that the storms will miss the lake. I take a pee break and then tuck my rain jacket in my waders so I won't have to take it off next time.


I cross over and work my way back along the western shoreline. Bluegill are up and I go after them with a little muddler.


I've been watching the north and south, but now there's a flash of lightning and clap of thunder very close behind the wooded hills to the west. A storm rushes down the hill and lets go with everything it's got. It's a direct hit on the lake. I take "shelter" under a tree. I have my rain jacket on of course, but tucked in my waders it's useless. I get soaked under the unrelenting rain. Live and learn.


When the coast is clear I start up the shoreline again. A bass makes my day.


I kick slowly back to the take out watching the light show in the sky as another storm slides by to the north.


When I get home that storm is right over my house, and it's pouring down rain. I get wet one more time.

2 comments:

  1. Been watching the National News. You're getting pretty wet, as if you didn't know.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to see that you skirted the storm for the most part. Lightening and thunder can raise havoc as you know. However, some of the best fishing in a float tube is during or right after the rain.

    ReplyDelete